Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Sipping Lavender - Lavender Summer Drinks

Ok, so it's no secret that I've gone a little bonkers with lavender! I picked only 5 bunches and have them hanging upside down, drying in my kitchen; but seriously, you should smell my house - as soon as I open the front door, I am knocked over by the aromatic scent of my little lavender buds and taken away to my happy place... for a few seconds anyway until I hear The Boy scream, 'Mummy' or he throws something at me to bring me back down to reality.

So in search of inner peace and tranquility, I realised, mid-toddler-tantrum, that the only way I'm ever going to achieve that, is by consuming it - internally.

On numerous occasions, I've read that you can make herbal tea, or infusions/tisanes, with just about anything. One of my neighbours makes one with mint, thyme, lemon and rosemary - basically anything she can find in her garden {although, to be honest, I didn't really like this; I felt as though I should be seasoning a leg of lamb with the ingredients in my cup, rather than drinking them}. Anyway, I thought that I'd try one with lavender.


Lavender Tisane

  • 1 - 2 tbs fresh lavender flowers or 1 1/2 tsp of dried lavender flowers
  • 200ml boiling water
  • Place lavender flowers in a tea infuser and let steep for about 5 minutes. Namaste.
{For some really cool tea infusers, check out this site. I liked the Robot and the Deep Tea Diver!}

Traditionally, a Tisane is a drink made from steeping herbs and spices in hot water and does not contain any caffeine. It's a great way to up your daily water/fluid intake and also get a few added benefits from the herbs & spices!

Lavender & Mint Iced Tea

  • 3 tea bags - English breakfast
  • 4 tbs fresh lavender flowers or 3 - 4 tsp dried lavender flowers
  • 8 sprigs of mint - leaves removed
  • 4 tbs honey
  • 1 litre boiling water
  • Ice 

  • Place tea bags, lavender flowers and mint leaves in a large jug, add boiling water and stir in honey; cover and set aside to cool. Once cool, add ice and serve. 

Lavender & Blueberry Punch

  • 4 tbs fresh lavender
  • 500ml  blueberry juice
  • 500ml of lemonade
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • Ice
  • Blueberries - to garnish
  • Heat blueberry juice in a saucepan and add lavender flowers. Leave on a low heat for 15 mintues; do not boil. Strain and set aside to cool.
  • Pour lemon juice into jug and add lemonade.
  • Once blueberry juice mix has cooled, add to jug with lots of ice.
  • Add some blueberries before your child eats them all!









No comments:

Post a Comment