Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Quick Eats: Chicken & Avocado Eggrolls


Does anyone {in Australia} remember the chain of restaurants called Chili's? Where I lived and more importantly, at the time, Chili's and good old Lone Star, were two of the coolest restaurants around. If you didn't like Chinese or Italian food, they were the only restaurants around. I stuffed myself on numerous occasions with friends, and it was the place to go on a first date. Mind you, at that time, if I did end up at Chili's on a first date, it was probably also the last. But that had nothing to do with the food; it was just... me. But, that's another story for another time, because today, I'm talk'n Eggrolls.

Chili's, in their later years before they {sadly} closed down, used to do an entrée called Avocado Eggrolls. They were served with either ranch or honey-mustard dressing and they were unbelievable!!

I've tried several times to make them over the years, but never quite got them right... until now. I made this for Gabe and I tonight, and ended up with about 15 large eggrolls.

Ingredients:
  • 1 packet spring roll wrappers / filo pastry or brick pastry - for this recipe, spring roll wrappers would be best, but as I didn't have any, I used brick.
  • 250g chicken breast, diced
  • 2 large avocados, diced
  • 12 - 15 sundried tomatoes, sliced - soaked in garlic and oil, preferrably without ilalian herbs
  • 2 red onions, sliced
  • 100 - 150g red kidney beans
  • 10 - 15 jalapeno peppers, chopped -  more if you like it hotter
  • 3 tbs chopped parsely
  • Juice from half a lemon
  • 1 litre oil {of your choice} for deep frying, when I cook any kind of Asian food, I usually use sesame oil - although this dish is not an Asian one, but I think that it makes the coating taste nicer. I'm not a great chef, but that is my personal opinion.
  • 1 egg white - for sealing rolls
  •  Ranch or honey mustard dressing for dipping
Directions:
  • Lightly fry the chicken and onions until cooked through but not brown.
  • In a bowl, mix avocado, tomatoes, kidney beans, peppers, parsley and lemon juice.
  • Add cooked chicken and onion. Mix well.


  • Spoon 1 - 2 tbs in each spring roll wrapper and roll, sealing the end with a brush of the egg white.
  • Heat oil {until you can hear that it is hot; that may sound odd, but this is how I usually tell that it is ready}. 
  • Carefully place each eggroll in hot oil for no more than 20 seconds. Ensure that your eggrolls are well sealed before placing in oil otherwise the avocado mix will cause violent spitting, or if you are really fucking unlucky, an explosion. 
  • Dab off excess oil with some paper towel and serve warm with your choice of dressing.  
  • Enjoy!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment